Invitation to Faculty: Meet with University Librarian Search Committee
UCLA Office of the Executive Vice Chancellor and Provost
To: UCLA Faculty
As recently announced by Executive Vice Chancellor and Provost Scott L. Waugh, a search committee has been charged with identifying candidates for the next University Librarian at UCLA.
I am pleased to serve as chair of this committee. Other members are:
- Johanna Drucker – professor of information studies
- William P. Edwards – president, Westwood Investments
- Alicia Gaspar de Alba – professor of Chicana/o studies, English and gender studies
- Lynn K. Gordon – professor of ophthalmology and associate dean for academic diversity, David Geffen School of Medicine
- Kendall N. Houk – professor of chemistry and biochemistry
- Beverly Lynch – professor of information studies
- Kelly Lytle-Hernandez – associate professor of history
- Jonathan F.S. Post – distinguished professor of English
- Todd Presner – professor of Germanic languages, comparative literature and Jewish studies
- Timothy Rice – professor of ethnomusicology and director of the UCLA Herb Alpert School of Music
- Francis F. Steen – associate professor of communication studies
As a critical part of the search process, the search committee seeks input from the UCLA Faculty. We invite you to meet with the committee on Friday, October 5, 10:30 – 11:30 a.m. in 2121 Murphy Hall, to share information and insights regarding the search.
In preparation for this meeting, you may wish to gather your thoughts on current issues and priorities that could help set the agenda for the UCLA libraries, ideal qualities and qualifications for the new university librarian, and any other information or insight that will help guide the committee’s efforts.
So that we can plan adequate seating, kindly reply to ExecSearch@conet.ucla.edu with your attendance plans. If you are unable to attend this meeting and/or if you wish to provide additional input to the committee, please forward comments to LibrarianSearch@conet.ucla.edu.
Following is the position announcement. We expressly invite you to circulate the announcement broadly, and to nominate any individuals you feel are exceptionally well-qualified. Kindly email nominations and inquiries to confidential email account LibrarianSearch@conet.ucla.edu. All correspondence will be kept in confidence among members of the search committee.
We thank you for your participation in this important search.
Chair of the search committee for university librarian
Distinguished professor of anthropology
Dean of the Division of Social Sciences